Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Beginning

Welcome to "The Hidden Gates of Damascus." I want this blog to be a gate from the point of view of a native and of an international traveler. I want it to be a place where I can share my own thoughts and feelings about Syria with Syrians and non-Syrians. I would also like it to be a place where all poeple can share their views about Syria, even if I don't agree with them.

Syria has a rich history with many people from different backgrounds, religions, sects, and cultures. For this reason, we have a very unique society that has emerged from the ruins of many past empires. Even these empires were made up of many different races and cultures.

Throughout our history, we have lost or forgotten many things, and at the same time, we have adapted new ideas. In the present, we still continue to leave many things behind that should not be forgotten.

In this space, I'm going to share information about Ancient Syria, the recent history of Syria, and most importantly, the cultural structure of the society and the recent events that are shaping the mentality of the Syrian youth.

Some of the topics I will be covering include, but are not limited to: the mainstream religions, the lesser known religions, Syrian Atheists, Arabism, Nationalism, musical culture, controversy within the media, problems among youth, freedom of expression, and relationships with the surrounding countries.

I would love this blog to become an interactive forum for Syrians and non-Syrians whatever they may believe. And I hope that we could all share information with each other to create a clearer image of the real Syria.

5 Comments:

Blogger SillyBahrainiGirl said...

great! a new blogger in town and i am the first to leave a comment!

let me have the honour of welcoming you to blogistan. remember a few basic facts:

1. you are not free
2. you are not free to speak your mind
3. you are not free
4. you are not free to think
5. you are not free
6. freedom is a relative term
7. still, you are not free

these are the seven commandments you should adhere to. failure to comply would have dire consequences on all Arab bloggers.

our destiny lies in your hands..
thank you for your co-operation. remember that anything you say or dont say could be taken against you!

happy blogging ;)

6:30 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Ya silly girl :

Not true: we have more freedom than before; not 100% but still, so much more.

Welcome to the new blogger. Only by using our freedom shall we increase it.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Arethusa said...

Wonderful blog! I've found it at a great time, as I've just finished a novel that was set in Syria and which piqued my curiousity about the country.

I've blogmarked you through BE. :)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Azza said...

Hi.. Great Blog you made!
I will keep checking it from time to time..
This is one of my favorite blogs ^^

have a nice day..

7:07 AM  
Blogger yaman said...

Finally somebody who appreciates diversity for what its worth...

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home